Sunday, June 9, 2013

This year, the rice cakes started early

One of the challenges of travel for me is that I eat gluten free. I'm not a celiac, but my body does not process gluten* well. I'm a much happier camper when I avoid gluten.

And here I am in Italy--home of pizza and pasta. And I don't eat either in their traditional forms.

If your only experience with restaurants trying to accommodate a gluten-free diet is with American restaurants, you might expect that I have problems in Italy. But, really, I don't. Urbania, Italy is blessed with two or three cooks trained to accommodate celiacs (which is astounding in a city of 8,000).

I <3 those restaurants.

The rest of the time, I just eat a lot more rice cakes than most.

And this year, the rice cakes started early. On the flight, in fact. Delta Airlines merely replaced any bread item in my meals with rice cakes. That was fine for my dinner that also included chicken and a salad, but breakfast was a rice cake, a banana, and water.

Um, thanks, Delta, for those 75 calories.

The "regular" eaters were served a pastry, a banana, and juice. By the time we landed I would've sporked someone for the juice.

But here's a picture of my gluten-free haul from Conad, the local supermercato.

Yes, there are rice cakes, but look at the cookies!

And that was before I found the stash of Schar-brand GF food at one of the pharmacies! (I love most things Schar and wish it were easier to find at home. You can learn about Schar here: http://www.schar.com/us/)

So I clearly don't starve. Most of the supermarket food is clearly labeled as senza glutine when it's safe for me to eat, and the supermarkets have multiple kinds of gluten-free pasta. Schar even sells a gluten-free ciabatta bread that is half-baked, so you can have fresh baked GF bread at home.

Tonight, we ate at Donatella's. She's one of the cooks specially trained to prepare food for celiacs. Because my sensitivity is not that great, I don't require special food prep, but Donatella can do it if I needed it. For this meal, while the vegetarians ordered primi (the pasta or soup course), a friend and I ordered secondi (the meat course). Check out our plates. Now, do you think I'm suffering?

This is pork in a cherry reduction. Or heaven. Either way

Here we are post meal--just in case you weren't sure.

 

 

I don't THINK I have something in my teeth. I think it's a reflection.

 

 

 

 

I was a little sad the day we walked past this

I do miss good bread.

 

and this in Modena.

 

 

 

 

 

But I can always have this, so life is good.

Mmmmmm. Cheese.

*Gluten is a protein found in grains like wheat, rye and barley. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder where exposure to gluten causes inflammation in the small intestine and, consequently, other less savory sounding, but serious symptoms.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment